May 22, 2026
IMG_6893

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has assured Nigerians that there is no need to panic over the Ebola virus, stating that the country has the capacity to contain and manage any potential outbreak.

Speaking on Channels Television’s The Morning Brief on Thursday, Head of Health Emergency Preparedness at the NCDC, Dr. Biodun Ogunniyi, said Nigeria’s response systems have been tested and strengthened since the 2014 Ebola outbreak.

“There is no need to panic because fear kills more than death itself, because this is not the first time Nigeria is getting prepared for this kind of outbreak,” Ogunniyi said. “We had a bit of a scare last year, used that opportunity to test our system, and we are comfortable to an extent.”

He recalled that in 2014, Nigeria was able to contain the virus in less than 70 days, an achievement that earned global commendation. According to him, the country now has a better health system and in-country capacity to respond more effectively.

Ogunniyi noted that the NCDC and its Public Health Emergency Operation Centre are on standby to coordinate a rapid response if needed, adding that familiarity with the Bundibugyo Ebola Virus strain since 2007 has improved Nigeria’s preparedness.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *